So my little Eleanor turned THREE this past Friday. We had quite the birthday weekend for her traveling down to Cincy to see family and she ate up all the attention and birthday looty loot she scored. It was nice. Hard to believe just a year ago we were celebrating her birthday at Jahli Park in the UAE with high 70 degree weather!
Have you ever seen The Secret Language of Birthdays? It's a great fun book to take a look at. Every day of the year is labeled with "The Day of the......." describing characteristics of people born on this date, things for them to watch out for, strengths and weakness, and famous people born on this day, etc.
I remember pouring over this book as I approached my due date curious of what date Eleanor could possibly be born on. And what's her day? "The Day of Intensity" - yeah. And she lives up to it! My day is "The Day of the Blissful Wizard" which I really like the sound of, although I wish I lived up to a bit more - maybe I do, I don't know.
Something I haven't mentioned on here is we are expecting another baby which is pretty exciting. Baby is due May 27th ("The Day of Driven Dedication" oh boy) but I know the great likelihood is most babies are not born on their due dates. So we'll see!
When I worked at my last library branch we put this book on the break table and people would look up their day and write it down on this large wipe-on-wipe-off board we had. It was VERY interesting and fun. Take a look sometime.
The title of this blog was inspired by the utopian novel by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, author of The Yellow Wallpaper. The word itself has went further and captured for me a special sense of "place" for me and my daughter Eleanor. A free copy of the book can be read online by clicking the image.
Check out my first blog--Al Ain Notebook--written during our family's year abroad in the United Arab Emirates (2008-2009)
Books Read 2010
03. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
02. Never Let Me Go by Kazup Ishiguaro
01. Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult
Books Read 2009
23. Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri
22. The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger
21. Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
20. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
19. The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid
18. Belong to Me by Marisa de los Santos
17. Stuart Little by EB White
16. Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
15. Girls of Riyadh by Rajaa Alsanea
14. The Olive Readers by Christine Aziz
13. Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi
12. Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl
11. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
10. Princess: The True Story of Life Inside the Saudi Arabia's Royal Family by Jean Sasson