We are 3.5 weeks in baby land now. And THANK GOD I am starting to feel better. This time is HARD. It's sweet. It's wonderful. It's intense. It's exhausting. It's -- I'd rather sleep than win a million dollars. It's cooing. It's baby love. All you that are parents know this. How my little guy is going to be a month old in a week is hard to believe. Funny how having a newborn is so special BUT you also wish it away too. Mantras like "this will pass" float through your head all the time and you look forward to when things will get a bit easier and all sussed out.
Big sister Eleanor has been great. What a helper! Seriously. "Eleanor, can you run upstairs and get baby Samuel's swaddle?" "Eleanor, can you grab Samuel's binka?" (our word for a pacifier :). "Eleanor, can you throw this diaper in the garbage?" She is eager and happy to help. Of course she also has the tendency to be right in his face when he is trying to go off to sleep too but she's just excited.
I wanted to share some preview photos that my friend, Jessi, took of him a couple weeks ago. I think they show the sibling love perfectly. Funny how I wanted Eleanor to have a sister but now I could not imagine not having a little boy and I know Eleanor will love her bro as much as I love my two younger brothers too.
The title of this blog was inspired by the utopian novel by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, author of The Yellow Wallpaper. The word itself has went further and captured for me a special sense of "place" for me and my daughter Eleanor. A free copy of the book can be read online by clicking the image.
Check out my first blog--Al Ain Notebook--written during our family's year abroad in the United Arab Emirates (2008-2009)
Books Read 2010
03. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
02. Never Let Me Go by Kazup Ishiguaro
01. Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult
Books Read 2009
23. Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri
22. The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger
21. Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
20. The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
19. The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid
18. Belong to Me by Marisa de los Santos
17. Stuart Little by EB White
16. Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
15. Girls of Riyadh by Rajaa Alsanea
14. The Olive Readers by Christine Aziz
13. Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi
12. Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl
11. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
10. Princess: The True Story of Life Inside the Saudi Arabia's Royal Family by Jean Sasson